Search This Blog

Wednesday 24 October 2018

Extraordinary 1618 Carden Chair

[I will soon delete this post as a google search revealed that in my post in March 2007 below I said that the chair was A gift from Mr Thomas Cawarden 4th June 1618. Master's Chair of the Framework Knitters Company, late 17th century.]

 I have just found these two pictures which I took in 2007, when I gave it the caption Carwardine Chair. I am almost certain the chair was on display at the Museum of London, but it is not currently on display there. I cannot discover to what the date 4 June 1618 refers. Sir Thomas Cawarden/Carden died in 1559, so it has nothing to do with him. The coat of arms was in use at that time by both the Carden and Cawardine families and I think proves they were related.  Any suggestions?


1 comment:

Simon Burrows said...

Hello - you are right that this chair is (now) owned by the Worshipful Company of Framework Knitters and has traditionally been known as its Masters chair. It carries the inscription: "The Gift of Mr Tho. Cawarden" and also a date June 4th 1618. It was displayed in the Museum of London for many years, and is now stored at our hall in Oadby, Leicestershire.

Any information on the history of the chair and possible connections with the Cawardens will be appreciated.

Regards
Simon (Archivist - Framework Knitters Company)

About Me

My photo
For information go to http://www.one-name.org/profiles/carden.html