Search This Blog

Monday 26 July 2021

Update re Katherine Parr's child.

Katherine Parr, sixth wife of Henry VIII, failed to have a child by him. After his death she soon married Admiral Thomas Seymour and they had a daughter Mary on August 30 1548 at Sudeley Castle, but Katherine died in childbirth. Less than a year later Thomas Seymour was executed

The 2007 blog post below refers to a claim that someone called Cawarden from Northumberland took the child back with him, raised her and married her off to a squire.

Following a visit to Sudeley Castle in June 2021, the archivist there, Derek Maddock, wrote:

Thanks for your enquiry, but unfortunately I do not think I am able to help you.  Documents that we do have are Victorian in date onwards along with acquisitions made, in particular by Emma Dent. She bought anything that was relevant to the castle, to Katherine Parr etc. and commissioned researchers to look at the national and royal archives and make relevant copies. … I can find no reference to Carden or Cawarden. …   I … have a number of items referring to the Johnson family who claimed descent through a Silas Johnson who claimed to have married KP’s granddaughter, I have a poor quality image of a family tree claiming descent through a marriage of baby Mary to Edward Bushel, but I have not found a link with your surname.   in the 1920's there was a nationwide appeal looking for evidence to support the [Bushel] claim. Unfortunately for them, this came to naught!

Subsequently I found a Wikipedia reference to an article by Porter, Linda (2011). "Lady Mary Seymour: An unfit traveller". History Today Magazine. Vol. 61 no. 7.  I am trying to obtain a copy.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
For information go to http://www.one-name.org/profiles/carden.html